The INI – International Noh Institute is now accepting applications for its 2018 Summer Intensive Program. Participants will take part in an intensive training period, during which they will study Noh chant and dance at the INI training space in Kyoto with Kongō school Noh actors of the Udaka family: Michishige, Tatsushige, Norishige, and Haruna. During the program, participants will learn about various aspects of noh performance, including chant, dance, masks, and costumes. The training period will culminate with a short performance as part of the the Udaka-kai recital on a noh stage in Kyoto, featuring professional actors. The program is coordinated by Dr. Diego Pellecchia (Kyoto Sangyo University).
Application deadline: June, 1st 2018. Early applications are strongly encouraged.
- Train intensively in noh chant and dance, following the traditional methods of the Kongō school.
- Practice in a small group at the okeikoba, private training space of a noh master, for an immersive experience.
- Perform on a noh stage together with professional actors.
- Watch noh performances in the Kansai area.
- Experience living in Kyoto, the heart of Japanese traditional culture.
INI SUMMER INTENSIVE PROGRAM 2018
Requirements: Anyone is welcome to join – no previous knowledge of Noh is required. Lessons are given in English and/or Japanese. Past year program attendees are entitled to the repeater discount of 10,000¥, as shown below.
Capacity: 10 participants
Place: INI Training Space, Kyoto
Training dates and times: August 1-12* from 10:00 to 15:00
*Lessons will not take place on August 4,5 and 11
- Chant/dance lessons, basic materials (according to the participant’s level), participation to the August 12th recital, certificate of completion.
Fees do not include:
- Tabi white split-toe socks (around 700¥)
- Kongō-style Noh dance fan (5,000¥)
- Rental of Kimono and Hakama for the recital (10,000¥)
- Participation in the post-recital party (5,000¥)
- Transportation, accommodation, and any other personal expenses.
How to apply: send us an email at ini.kyoto[at]gmail.com Please attach your C.V. and a brief statement of interest.
Application deadline: June, 1st 2018
*Late applications will be considered only if places are still available.